was baptised on 25 November 1739 in
Wadhurst. She died before 1771.
As Margaret Petit she married Fullagar Reed on
23 April 1761 in Wadhurst. As a widower Fullagar married Jemima
Wallis on 26 September 1771 in Wadhurst.
Fullagar was a wheelwright. He was
buried on 28 November 1771 in Wadhurst. The following was found in
the A2A web site:
"Deeds of four cottages on the north side of
Cousley Wood Street, purchased by Emma Benge in 1908
On 27 and 28
March 1751 Sharpe sold part of the property to Michael Monk
of Wadhurst, cordwainer, for £30; it was described as ... Monk and
his wife Sarah sold the property for £115 10s. to Fullagar Read
of Wadhurst, wheelwright. It was described as ... A messuage
formerly an oasthouse with a new-erected end or building adjoinging with a
garden, close or yard (1/4 a) occupied by Monk and Christopher
Russell; the house with the well now belonged to Joseph Sharpe's
widow. A messuage, formerly an oasthouse, with the newly-ereted end
or building adjoining it, with a garden, close or yard (1/4 a) at Cousley
Wood (S: road through Cousley Wood to Lamberhurst Down: W: land of
William James; N.E: land of Matthew Boorman), occupied by
Jemima Read and Thomas Barham, before Michael Monk and
Christopher Russell, with the right to draw water at the draw-well
of the messuage of Matthew Boorman, before Joseph Sharpe.
On 24 and 25 June 1793 Thomas Pettit
the elder of Wadhurst, yeoman, sold the property for £95 to Thomas
Barham of Wadhurst, wheelwright, who had married Jemima,
Fullagar Read's widow, at Wadhurst on 4 January 1792. On 26 June
Thomas and Jemima Barham mortgaged the property for £100 at
5% to Edward Hilder of Burwash, miller. Jemima was buried at
Wadhurst on 22 July 1796 and Thomas Barham (who had been baptised
at Wadhurst on 18 October 1748, the eldest son of Nicholas Barham
and Elizabeth Greagsby), was buried there on 26 November 1808.
By 1822 the property had descended to
Thomas Barham's nephew Nicholas Barham of Wadhurst,
wheelwright, the eldest son of his brother Nicholas Barham
(d.1807), baptised at Wadhurst on 17 May 1785. On 1 June 1822 Barham
agreed to sell the property to John Tompsett of Wadhurst, farmer,
at a price to be settled by Robert Willsher, Thomas Parker
(replaced by George Bond) and Jeffery Austen. In July
and August 1822 detailed pedigrees of the Read and Barham families were
prepared, copies of register-entries obtained and an affidavit in support
made by Thomas Barham's youngest sister Ruth Damper, then a
widow, of 12 Jubilee Street, Brighton. On 27 August 1822 letters of
administration of the estate were granted to his son Joseph Read of
On 31 August 1822 Nicholas Barham and
his wife Elizabeth were joined by the mortgagee Edward Hilder
of Burwash, farmer, to convey to John Tompsett and his trustee
John Baldock of Burwash, gent, for £200, of which £110 18s. was paid
to Hilder ther mortgagee.
The property now consisted of four messuages,
occupied by Nicholas Barham, Thomas Baldock, James
Woodgate and Thomas Stapley; [blank] Crosley's land lay
to the west, and Alfred Boorman's to the north and east."
Jemima went on to have a relationship with his first wife's brother!
She then married
Fullagar and Margaret had 3 known children:
Joseph Reed was baptised on 5 February 1762 in Wadhurst. He
was mentioned in his Grandfather's will of 1772.
He married Frances Martin by banns on 12 April 1784 in Ticehurst.
He was then a carpenter and wheelwright and she was a mantua-maker.
They were both of Ticehurst. The witnesses to the marriage were
John Squire, Margaret Stickland, Sophia Bethells and
Joseph and Frances had 2 known children:
Thomas Reed was baptised on 28 August 1785 in Ticehurst. He
may have married Mary White by licence on 15 April 1806 in
Etchingham. Their marriage licence was dated 9 April 1806 and issued
by the Archdeaconry of Lewes. He was then a bachelor of Salehurst
aged 21 and upwards and she was a minor aged 20 and upwards of Etchingham.
Mary married with the concent of her guardian Pierce Harris of
Fanny Reed was baptised on 28 March 1787 in Ticehurst.
Joseph may have married for a second time by licence dated 1
January 1816, to Emma Mepham. He was then described as a
widower aged 52 and upwards and she was a widow aged 48 and upwards and
they were both of Salehurst. Surety for the licence was provided by
Joseph himself and John Ellis a farmer of Salehurst.
Margaret Reed was baptised on 10
January 1764 in Wadhurst. She was mentioned in her Grandfather's
will of 1772. Margaret married
John Stickland on 21 February 1781 in Ticehurst. John and
Margaret were cousins. He was the son of
Robert Stickland and
Samuel Reed was mentioned in his Grandfather's will of 1772, but I
could not find his baptism in the Wadhurst registers.